Tuesday, August 7, 2007

You Speak Only To The Ringmaster


When I first heard 1990's debut, Cookies, I immediately thought of the Arctic Monkeys. I mean, they're both bands composed of young(-sounding) Brits who make hook-laden pop rock. After a few listens, however, it was clear that a few things separated the two bands; early punk influences, intelligence, talent, and restraint. 1990's have all of these things, whereas the Arctic Monkeys have none. Basically, 1990's are the anti-Arctic Monkeys. Considering my disdain for the latter, you can imagine how happy I was to discover Cookies. Today I'll leave you with the tenth track from Cookies, Weed, which just happens share its name with my favorite TV show, Weeds, which happens to feature one of my favorite Ween songs in an upcoming episode. Whew, that's a lot of tangential association.

1990's - Weed.mp3
[From Cookies, out now on Rough Trade]

Ween - You Fucked Up.mp3
[From GodWeenSatan: The Oneness, released 1990 on Twin/Tone (now defunct)]

0 comments: